Friday, July 27, 2018

A Scary Moment


So here I am after a scary moment at the Ottawa airport.  The Air Canada agent refused to allow me to board because he said I needed a visa to go to Dominica.  I was dumb founded at his adement declaration.  Smiling all the while, the little sh*t said that the Dominicans had made a mistake on my passport, dating my resident permit 2008 instead of 2018.  True, but I have been using this passport and this permit for 2 years with no problem.   I stamped my little foot, bared my teeth and gave him the evil eye as I loudly announced that it is the Dominicans problem, not his.  Time passed and I was now in danger of missing my connecting flight.  I was prepared to drop my luggage (too heavy anyway) and make a dash for it when the agent next to him told him to let me go. The rest of the trip was uneventful but uncomfortable.

Some advice:  go West Jet to Barbados, not Air Canada to Antigua...then on to Dominica

What a relief to land in Dominica, to see McDowell and have him take over and take me home.

A week later and I have settled back.  Nothing has changed much.  It is hot.  I have cleaned up the apartment.  The back garden became a jungle in my absence, the shelves in the shops are still bare except for the essentials, day to day living is a struggle, but the internet now seems strong and reliable, and I have seen my friends, Mait, Traci, Annika and the ladies in the market have heartily welcomed me home.

No comments: