Wednesday, January 17, 2024

A Quiet January '24

I have tried several times over the past week to write something but not much has happened or is happening. 

Christmas and New Year have come and gone.  Carnival opening in  Portsmouth has come and gone and was a success.  We are now awaiting Carnival itself.  I hope to have my iPhone back and camera working by then.

People have been lost at sea, murdered, died, gotten sick, and gone back to the UK, USA, and Canada in the past few months.  Petty thievery abounds. At the same time, people have continued the struggle, survived, and revived.  Dominican resilience has shown itself to be as strong as ever. New friends have been made and there have been some minor successes. 

Today's small success is that I called the vet and actually got him, and spoke to him on the first attempt,  The dogs are growing and are quite big, although not yet fully grown, and haven't been vaccinated.  I am nervous that the female will get pregnant, she needs to be spayed, and the male needs to be neutered. I have procrastinated about calling the Vet because I just knew it would be a frustrating hassle.  But an hour ago I had an inspiration!  Call NOW the 'voice' said.  So I did.  I got the Agricultural Station on the first try, the woman was pleasant and gave me the Vet's number.  I called, and he answered!  I said I am looking for Bryan the Vet, and he said, "Well, darling, you found him."  Great start.  He then told me that there is no vaccine on the Island, but a shipment is expected next week and he will come with it.  I hung up, happy, surprised, and feeling victorious.

The tourist season has been very slow. Shops, street vendors, bars and restaurants, guest houses, and tour guides are struggling. We have managed reasonably well.  I believe this because McDowell does not rely on the tourist trade. McDowell's patrons are local folk.  He cooks an inexpensive, thick, tasty, generous, savory broth (fish or chicken or vegetable) filled with rice, lentils or kidney beans,  green bananas, plantain, dasheen, breadfruit or noodles, and, of course, rum and beer.  He will also make a filling egg and cheese sandwich for you.  Fish in his coconut sauce with trimmings and side dishes and a garden salad is a specialty and a little more expensive (not enough, I say) No fancy lobster dinners.

It has been cold 27 degrees C during the day and 22 C degrees at night. Rainy, Rain and cool temperatures are good for the rum trade!  Portsmouth is dark and quiet at night.  Nothing is open, no one is on the street.  Quite odd.



Note.  I have been using the word 'easy' to describe life in Dominica.  That is the wrong word,  It is not easy to live here.  First of all, this is an island.  If you didn't bring it, it isn't here,  If it is here it rusts, corrodes, tears, won't work, or you have to go to several different shops to get what you need.  Exhausting.  A much more appropriate word would be 'simple'.  Simple, because there is very little choice or it is just not available.


No comments: