Sunday, September 11, 2011

MONTREAL



So here I am in Montreal for 5 weeks, and working at Ararat Rug and living, alone, at Harold and Jan’s house (my brother and his wife) while they are in Tibet and Mongolia.

I was really worried at the first about working – could I do it? Well, it seems that I can.

I was looking forward to being on my own at H&J’s, but it has become very, very clear that I really don’t like living alone. To be sure, I enjoy my time alone, I treasure those periods when I don’t have people depending on me and when I have time to myself, but to actually live alone – nope – that’s not for me. I like to know that someone is coming home at some point. I find getting up in the morning to an empty house a bit scary!

Montreal is a terrific city. I love it. But it is too inconvenient. I’d always said that if I were to live in a city it would be Montreal, but I’ve changed my mind. I think Ottawa would be it. However, it’s going to be Portsmouth, Dominica, not Ottawa or Montreal.

There are many, many reasons why I am returning to Dominica - but mainly, they are simply more fun - even in their poverty and despair.

The plan is to finish out my stint here in Montreal, go back to Brooke Valley, pack and return to Dominica by the end of October.

No comments: